Tuesday, December 31, 2013

First doll completed for the new year

 Jerusha Felton Walker is finished. It seems it is taking longer to get the dolls finished, maybe I am getting more particular, but no, that isn't true, I have always been very dedicated to each doll to give them their due time and all my attention, so it must just be me, making mistakes that call for re-do's, changing my mind at some mid point, although, I have learned to ( not do this ) once a style or decision is made, stick to it, as changing things in mid stream usually ends in ( a doll that cannot be fixed, or if she or he can be fixed, it might cause me to put them back to the end of the line for a long time to re think things. Happily, Jerusha has not suffered this fate. She has been patient and now is rewarded with a full outfit of soft cotton unders, a full chemise slip, a lovely dress and bonnet of Civil War Reproduction red fabric and a special pair of Martha shoes. ( Cloth which is doubled, sewn together, painted with acrylics, several times, sanded and polished repeatedly and topped off with  fine black ribbon rosettes, ( thanks to Miss Fashion, I can make these now ) and a warm soft pair of black socks.) Little Miss Walker is ready to face the new year. I am ready to face it too. Armed with a full years's experience ( 1013 ) under my belt, the new year brings the promise of endless days of making as many beauties as I can.  There are some new dolls to make this year that I am very excited about, one is the Alabama babies, just can't wait to get one made. It still surprises me that something so beautiful and special can be made with just a few bits and pieces of cloth, glue, paint and some elbow grease. I took the opportunity to show off little Myrtle Mae Junior as well. She wanted to be in the picture too. She is a sweetie of 11 1/2" tall and deserves a minute or two in front of the camera ( as she says, she is just as grand as her bigger sister.) My new year wish for everyone is that you have and enjoy this new year. Do all you can to make yourself and those around you happy and if you do that, the time will pass, but oh what a wonderful time it will be.









7 comments:

  1. Martha, I don't think you are any more particular or careful, but it's possible you put more detail into your dolls' clothing now, having learned new skills last year. Here's to new learning in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to start out the New Year...a new doll, and a beauty, too. She looks so pretty in her new red dress. Your advice is the best ever..."Do all you can to make yourself and those around you happy and if you do that, the time will pass, but oh what a wonderful time it will be.

    I will post it here in my sewing room, and do my best to follow it each and every day. Best wishes for wonderful times in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martha, they are both just so wonderful and beautiful. I love every doll you make and I look forward to seeing each and everyone of them.
    Happy New Years
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's lovely Martha. I love the red reproduction fabric you chose for her clothing. Thank-you for the well wishes for the New Year....and I hope your year is a very pleasant one also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You put so much LOVE into your dolls I get such a thrill looking at them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these girls. Beautiful red fabric and awesome shoes! I know you will be making some wonderful creations this year. I am making some clothing for little Annabelle, soon she will make her debut.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Martha, I came over from the Corgyncombe Courant, where these ladies now dwell. What a lovely job you did on the spiral curls and the faces are just charming. I love the fabric you chose for the red dress, a perfect pattern!

    ReplyDelete