Tuesday, December 29, 2015

The New Year and My Favorite ( Rag Dolls )

The New Year is not quite here yet, but I have been busily working away on various dolls. Here are pictures of three black rag dolls. Two full dolls named Sister Trixie and Sister Jinksy. The other doll is one of my favorites, a pin keep doll who has no name, mostly because when I look at her, so many good names would suit her, but, none I can think of capture her character of proudness and patience, waiting to work with you and hold your needles as long as you need. What a great companion at the work table. Along with the dolls, we are undergoing a great transformation on our selves. by going on Nutri System. All the family is on it until each of us has reached their target weight, and in my case, better control of my blood sugar. We just needed to get in better shape so we can do all the things that have to be done this year, and it's a long list. Sisters Trixie and Jinksy are waiting for their dresses,  which have been cut out of beautiful red organdy and full gathered slips of red voile fabric, but, doubt is having it's way with me and I am sitting on the fence trying to decide if that is truly what they need or maybe some quilt patch dresses. I hate it when I waver in mid dress decisions. I have another job to do that I don't want to do, but it must be done, which is to dispose of all my old plaster molds, as I promised myself, I would work on and redo my dolls to a truer depiction of some antiques  and I have re sculped I think a better version of several dolls, but throwing away so much work is hard to do, and maddening, as we  think we see it the way it should look, only to find out, we are off the mark and why couldn't we just see that in the first place. It is a trial and a learning experience to realize how to look at a object and really see it's lines and curves, and depths, and probably ever capture the beauty that drew us to it in the first place. I am sure I will never get there exactly, but I'm gonna give it a shot. I hope everyone is in good health, or working toward it, as we are and making plans for wonderful things in the new year.



4 comments:

  1. I've already weighed in on these lovelies on FB, but let me say again--I love them! And I do understand your dilemma about the molds...a lot of work went into making them. But maybe you can remember that they have gotten plenty of use, and by keeping them, you'll be tempted to use them rather than make new ones. The ones you make will be part of these--in that your sculpting won't change radically, but subtly, in the direction you have grown to see. Do it. You won't be sorry. :~)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is so much to love about this post...your wonderful rag dolls, reading about your plans for the New Year, and a ton of inspiration! I am so looking forward to more wonderful Martha dolls in 2016! Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These ladies are magnificent! Can't wait to see how you dress the sisters. Have a wonderful New Years!

    ReplyDelete